Wednesday, January 4, 2012

12 New Things


I dare live by the pen! Above is a picture of a silly Christmas present from my brother. I was totally shocked when I opened it because I had seen it on a blog a few days before receiving it as a present. If it had been in stock from that website, I would have bought it for myself. I had to go back to my blog to double check that I didn't post the pen as something I wanted. Nope, my brother knows me that well. Way to be, bro!

It's time for my 2012 list of New Things. I don't like resolutions, so I go with New Things, and every year it's going up one in number. There are some repeats from last year; anything I failed on, I'm taking a second shot at. I'm slightly concerned when I reach the 20's. Until then, here are the 12 New Things I want to accomplish this year. I'm going to revisit this list at the end of the year and give a detailed explanation of what happened.

1. Redesign my website. I have such an old website that feels so heavy with its black background. I've been working on a basic redesign first, but eventually I want to do an entire overhaul. I either have to learn more web design or pay for a template. I'm still weighing my options, but there will be at least one redesign this year.

2. Visit friends in DC. I've got more than just Andrew to see this year, and I'm not giving up on this!

3. Go to a concert every month. I'm set for January (Aimee Mann), March (Gotye) and May (Andrew Bird) but other than that, I'm looking for suggestions and/or people to go to shows with.

4. Contact and learn from concert photographers. I've been following a few photographers who's work I admire. Who better to get advice from? I just have to accomplish #1 first, then figure out what to say to them. I plan on contacting a handful, hoping one will take pity on me.

5. Purchase and learn Totally Rad. Totally Rad is a really cool action set to help improve my post production color correction. I don't like to over process my work, but I think this will add a lot of depth to my finished product.

6. Return to summer fitness level. I'm very careful not to use certain words when I talk about my health. Weight is just a number, one that I'm currently not satisfied with, but it certainly isn't the end all be all of my existence. I've been consistently sick since the Medieval Festival in October. I've had a few sinus infections, nasty colds, stomach flu and the latest was an upper respiratory infection compounded with bronchitis. I'm sick of being sick, but more than that, I'm sick of not being able to work out. It's one of those vicious circles; you want to work out because it'll make you feel better, but you can't work out until you feel better.

7. Make my own wrapping paper. This is my continuation of being crafty from last year. I figured if I could be more specific, I'd have a better chance of accomplishing this.

8. Photo of the week challenge. I wanted another go at a photo challenge, but I knew I wouldn't be able to do one every day. I'm planning on taking at least a picture every week and posting the result on Sundays. It gives me another regular post and will help me with shot selection.

9. Share my photos and/or do a guest post on another blog. I've wanted to do this for a long time. I just have to figure out what it is that I have to say.

10. Learn Photojunction. Darn this program! You're going down in 2012!!!

11. Do a pull up. Nothing to explain here.

12. Get a paying job as a concert photographer. Save the best for last, right? I want to build up my portfolio a bit more, rework my website, get advice from other photographers and throw my hat into the ring. Even if this is only a part time gig or just once this year, I'm going to take that leap.

1 comment: