Monday, September 15, 2014

Yashica Mat 124G: 3 Rolls


Besides the digital photos I normally post, I also like to slow things down and shoot film. I purchased my first medium format camera, a Yashica Mat 124G, from Awesome Cameras. Joey has such a great collection of cameras up for sale, so go check out his site! The next step of course was finding someone I trusted to develop my negatives. I took my first test roll to Milford Photo and was not happy with the results of the scans, so I asked some film people who they used. These three rolls of film were developed and scanned by Old School Photolab. You order your developing/scanning online, print out a free shipping label, slap your film in an envelop and away they go. They have a free online gallery where you can download high res scans or you can have them burned onto a disc. They mail you back the negs in protective sleeves. They were a pleasure to work with and I plan to send all my film to them in the future. I shot three different types of film, some of them going back to February of this year, and Old School Photolab did a great job on all types.

Lomography Earl Grey Black and White, ISO 100



I really love the contrast and dark blacks this film produces.








Fuij Pro 400H Color Film








Double exposure fun time!

Ilford Delta 3200 Black & White


These came out a little light, but I remember I used to have this film pushed when I shot its 35mm counterpart, so I might try that next round.






A few of the photos have a sepia tone. This was a glitch when I uploaded them online with my watermark. I don't know why because they don't have this tint on the screen. Let's blame Blogger on that one.

As with any film camera I carry, people get really excited when they see me taking pictures with it. I'm still struggling with the image in the camera being reversed, but my manual focusing has improved a ton. My particular camera's light meter is broken, so I usually have a digital with me as a back up to meter. While it costs more than digital, film expenses and developing/scanning, it's always useful to slow myself down and really think about composition. Besides, you can't beat producing double exposures in camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment